Life insurance is not the easiest thing to talk about. It implies loss. Hard times. Tough decisions. We know that – that’s why we want to become a valuable partner in your life. Whether it’s life insurance, salary protection, critical illness cover or disability cover, a policy with Different will provide the security you need, no matter what your life stage.
At Different Life we make it easy for you, by taking full advantage of technology you can get a comprehensive range of insurance products with just a few clicks, be it a quote or purchase a policy! We undertake to deliver the best possible service. And to make life insurance simple, inexpensive, effective.
You can buy a policy from start to finish online. Try it HERE.
Your first premium – and the first premium every year – will become a Different Donation, allocated to a good cause of your choice through Different.org, helping you make a difference in someone else’s life.
Different.org is a online crowdfunding philanthropy platform. With running costs being funded by Different Life, 100% of donations go to the project. No monthly subscriptions. No commission on donations. No credit card fees. This ensures that every cent goes to the project you love, to maximise impact.
Different Life is the backbone which enables Different.org to do what we love, which helps in achieving our dreams for South Africa. By taking a life policy through Different Life, you are able to allocate your first payment of every year as a donation to a cause of your choice on Different.org. Additionally, the companies within the Different Group donate a minimum of 10% pre-tax profits to the Different Foundation. This guarantees that all donations received from you go towards helping the causes that you are passionate about!
By referring friends who purchase a life insurance policy through Different Life, we will reward you with an additional monthly payment to donate to a cause close to your heart on Different.org. Together, we can impact the lives of many South Africans, leading towards a better future.
Life Cover: In the event of your death, the cover amount will be paid to your nominated beneficiaries following a successful claims assessment.
Salary Protection: Salary Protection will pay you the cover amount each month while you are unable to perform your insured occupation for more than 3 consecutive months of being off work due to a disability.
Critical Illness Cover: Critical Illness Cover will pay you the cover amount in full if you are diagnosed with or suffer from: stroke, heart attack, heart surgery or cancer as defined and confirmed by Different Life medical officer using industry best practice to assess the diagnosis.
Disability Cover: Disability Cover will pay the cover amount in full if you are totally and permanently unable to perform your insured occupation and any similar occupation to which you are suited by skill, education and training due to a disability.
Accidental Products: If for any reason you don’t qualify for our primary products (Life Cover, Disability Cover and Salary Protection), you may still have the option to purchase the Accident-Only variations of these products
Term life insurance is usually the most affordable type of life insurance. It provides temporary financial protection for your loved ones during your working years. The death benefit pays money directly to your beneficiaries to help with funeral costs and ongoing financial obligations such as daily living expenses, child education and mortgage payments.
Common types of term life insurance that may be available:
Basic Term Life: Generally coverage offered for a set period of time that provides your beneficiaries with essential financial protection.
Supplemental Term Life: A benefit allowing you to purchase additional protection as your needs change over time. Dependent, spouse or domestic partner coverage may also be available.
Dependent Term Life: Provides coverage for your spouse, civil union partner or domestic partner and eligible children.
A death in the family is not only emotionally devastating, it can also take a tremendous toll on the future financial security of a family. Suddenly, without the deceased’s income, paying the mortgage or providing for a child’s college education may become much more difficult.
Those who buy life insurance generally do so to help ensure their loved ones are taken care of financially. Life insurance is a promise by an insurance company to pay those who depend on you a sum of money upon your death. In return, you make periodic payments called premiums. Premiums can be based on factors such as age, gender, medical history and the dollar amount of the life insurance you purchase.
In the event of your passing, life insurance provides money directly to the individuals you select, your beneficiaries, who can use the money as they see fit, including:
- Replacing lost income
- Covering basic living expenses
- Paying household debts, estate taxes and funeral expenses
- Funding a child’s education
- Supplementing retirement savings
A life insurance policy purchased through Different Life means you’re taking care of your loved ones while also changing the world.
Here’s why buying life insurance from Different Life makes sense:
- You’re buying from a trusted name. The Different Life policy is underwritten by Old Mutual Alternative Risk Transfer Limited, a registered long-term insurer and member of the Old Mutual Group. This means you’re partnering with a reliable, stable insurance brand that’s been around the block, and who you can rely on.
- You become an instant philanthropist. We’re all about maximising impact, not profit. When you choose to become a Different Life philanthropist, you will qualify for cover under a life insurance policy that will only charge you 11 months’ premiums for 12 months’ cover. In return you agree to make an annual donation equivalent to 1 month’s premium. Your donations will go to worthy causes of your choice. As long as you make annual donations you will continue to qualify for this unique life policy. While you look after your family’s future, you’ll make a difference in someone else’s too.
- It’s simple. We don’t do fancy or frilly – we’re all about no-nonsense quality. With this in mind, our policies are simple to understand and easy to use.
- We love technology. To us, technology makes the life insurance process less complicated, and it keeps you in the loop too. That’s why you can get a quote, buy a policy and manage everything online with just a few clicks.
- We’re there for you. You’re an individual. Shouldn’t your life insurance reflect that too? We tailor every single policy to suit your specific needs, priorities and lifestyle.
Long Term: Life and Disability Cover
The certainty of death and probability of disablement increase as we age, robbing families of their breadwinners at inopportune moments – insurance provides the means for our families and employees lives to go on. Transferring these risks to an insurer in exchange for a premium cost effectively, however, requires tools to accurately pool and price risks across compulsory employer groups (often the lowest cost and most comprehensive cover), or an insurer’s general risk pool for individual policies.
Let the buyer beware – not all policies are created equal
Consumers may be ignorant that “accidental death” does not cover the more common cause of natural causes such as cancer, heart attack, and a myriad other forms of cellular death we call ‘ageing’.
How do terms, conditions and price compare, and what is the “right” amount of cover required to replace the income of a lost breadwinner?
- Disability cover can be even trickier, with a higher possibility of becoming disabled than dying before retirement for many. Income replacement policies are expensive but cover temporary as well as permanent disablement, whereas inexpensive “lump sum” disablement benefits only usually become payable where disability is both total and permanent.
- Useful features of group schemes include ‘proof free limits’ up to which staff will be accepted even where they have pre-existing conditions and illnesses – unlike invidually underwritten policy applications, which are subject to premium loadings, exclusions and even outright declinature of cover.
Increasingly, employee benefit programs include a mandatory “core” of life and disability cover on preferential terms, with “flex” options for staff to buy additional cover.
Products come in many forms and guises, including:
- Group Life Assurance
- Family funeral Benefits
- Dread Disease
- Disability Income salary replacement
- Waiver of contributions
- Lump sum disability
Automatic “inflation” increases to premiums seem reasonable enough at first, but in truth group scheme rates should mirror claims experience which should result in a reduction, rather than increasing.
Annual market reviews are part of life insurance broking companies employee benefit services.
Insurance has become a minefield of misleading advertising and direct marketing, requiring expert guidance to annually review cost, terms and efficacy to ensure policies transfer risk, pays claims at an acceptable price and fit into compensation structures, dovetailing rather than duplicating statutory benefits such as Compensation for Occupation Injury and Disease.